Former Prince Andrew Arrested on His 66th Birthday Amid Epstein Scandal
In an unprecedented moment for the British monarchy, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor — formerly known as Prince Andrew — was arrested on Thursday morning on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The arrest, made on his 66th birthday, marks the first time a modern British royal has been taken into police custody.
The Arrest
Thames Valley Police arrived at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk — where Andrew has been living — in at least six unmarked police cars just after 8 am. In a formal statement, Thames Valley Police confirmed: “As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The man remains in police custody at this time.”
Per national guidance, police did not name the arrested individual, but the former Duke of York has been widely identified across all major outlets.
Also Read: British Woman Lucy Harrison Shot Dead By Father After Argument Over Trump
The Allegations
The arrest stems from a deepening investigation tied to the now-infamous Jeffrey Epstein files. Police have been assessing allegations that Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor shared sensitive information with the billionaire child sex offender Jeffrey Epstein when he was a UK trade envoy. Additionally, Thames Valley Police said they were looking into claims that a second woman was sent to the UK by Epstein for a “sexual encounter” with the royal.
BBC News reported that Andrew’s arrest is significant, in that he was arrested rather than interviewed under caution, suggesting it was unlikely he would have been aware that police intended to visit his home.
Thames Valley Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright stated: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
Royal Family and Political Reaction
The arrest has sent shockwaves through both Buckingham Palace and Westminster. King Charles has previously made clear his “profound concern” at allegations about Andrew’s conduct, with Buckingham Palace saying it will “stand ready to support” the police if approached over the claims.
UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer urged the former prince to cooperate with the Epstein files probe. Prince William and Kate Middleton had previously said they were “deeply concerned” by the latest Epstein revelations, while the rest of the royal family is reported to be barely speaking with Andrew.
Also Read: Team USA’s Elana Meyers Taylor Wins Monobob Gold Medal
A Royal Fall from Grace
Since the Epstein files emerged, the situation has severely worsened for Andrew. He lost his Prince title, stripped by King Charles, and was forced to move home. More allegations followed, many of which appeared to contradict remarks he made in his infamous Newsnight interview. UK lawmakers had also said they may investigate Andrew for his conduct while working as a UK trade envoy.
Andrew has consistently denied any wrongdoing. His arrest remains without precedent in modern British royal history.
